Christopher Mirasalo, 27, with the smug mug up there, has recently been awarded parenting time and joint legal custody of the 8-year-old boy born from the 2008 rape of Mirasalo’s victim, who was 12 at the time.
Now before you get all riled and outraged at this turn of events, like I was when all I read was the attention-grabbing headline, let me fill you in on how this happened.
Apparently, the child’s mother, who is now 21, applied for state assistance in Michigan and was receiving food stamps and healthcare for her son. I guess when you’re allowed to quit school at 12 and try to raise a baby, your chances of employment capable of sustaining you and your child are greatly diminished, but I digress, as Trench would say.
All states’ departments of social services attempt to recover assistance funds to single parents by establishing paternity and subsequent child support payments for their children. Once paternity is established, the other parent is routinely awarded parenting time and joint legal custody. According to Mirasalo’s attorney, this is what occurred here and none of this was initiated by him. Keep in mind that joint legal custody does not equal joint residential custody.
I am not AT ALL forgiving this monster for raping and impregnating a 12-year-old when he was 18 himself and way old enough to know better. BUT, I have a lot of questions as to how things got to the point they are at today:
1. Mirasalo kept the 12-year-old and her sister almost hostage-like for 2 days…was a missing child report filed?
2. Who allows a 12-year-old to make the decision to drop out of school and attempt to raise a BABY? Really?
3. What has the child been told about who his father is?
4. Is this turn of events all because the victim applied for state assistance?
5. Does Mirasalo even want contact with the child? He’s been out of prison for similar charges since 2014; chances are if he hasn’t made contact in the past 3+ years, he probably wasn’t going to.
6. Can’t Mirasalo just relinquish his parental rights if he wants to?
There’s always more behind the sensationalist headlines.
Thanks to Mare for the tip.